Saturday, May 26, 2012

CBS Will No Longer Air Jesse Stone Movies

Jesse Stone

In disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, news, CBS has notified the producers of the "Jesse Stone" made-for-television films that the most recent, "Benefit of the Doubt", will be the last for the network.

Though the movie was the most watched program last Sunday night, it had the lowest ratings among 18-49 year-olds so highly prized by advertisers.

Michael Brandman, who co-executive produces the films with star Tom Selleck, said, "'Both of us are surprised CBS was so wedded to those [younger] demographics. ... It's really hard for us to grasp."

Earlier this year Selleck predicted "Benefit of the Doubt" would be the last for CBS, though he went on to say, "That being said, that's not the end of Jesse, or at least I don't think so. There are a lot of other entities, whether cable or even feature films … I'm not done with the character, though."

We enjoyed "Benefit of the Doubt" quite a bit, probably more than the last couple that preceded it, though we have to admit we didn't quite understand the ending, which had a rushed, incomplete feel to it.

Let's hope Tom Selleck and Michael Brandman, who took over writing the "Jesse Stone" mysteries following the death of creator Robert B. Parker, can come up with an alternate way of continuing the series.

(Related article: Variety.)

1 comment:

  1. This is disappointing news! I think dropping shows like Jesse Stone movies, CSI Miami (for basically the same reason), and others are going to hurt CBS in the long run. They are going to lose loyal viewers such as myself because I am no longer in their precious age-range group. How sad!

    ReplyDelete

 

Omnimystery Blog Archive

Total Pageviews (last 30 days)

Omnimystery News
Original Content Copyright © 2019 — Omnimystery, a Family of Mystery Websites — All Rights Reserved
Guest Post Content (if present) Copyright © 2016 — Contributing Author — All Rights Reserved